Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Comment Moderation.

Hi.
I know I haven't been around much lately
I just don't generally record my music
I'm still practicing and whatnot
I just don't record as much.

Anyway
Today we're going to do something a little different.
I realize that I need to explore all my musical adventures
Not just the ones that apply to playing my guitar
Which brings me to today's adventure.

The wife decided she wanted to go out for coffee tonight
At a nice little coffee shop out in the "Upper-class Bohemian" part of town
Also, they happened to be having an Open Mic Night.
The idea crossed my mind to sign up, yes
Then I thought better of it
Another time, I'm sure.

Anywho, I'd say the first 15 acts or so
Were a bunch of sad white people playing guitar.
I don't know, I wasn't really listening.
It just sounded like a lot of moaning and crying about something
God only knows what.
There was some act with some bongos that was moderately interesting
But the spiced rum/chai tea drink I had was far more interesting.

Eventually all the sad sack hippies kinda left or died out or whatever
And we were about to depart as well
until we heard the soulful r&b sounds of David Fuller
(http://www.myspace.com/davidfuller1)
Yes I did just shamefully plug that
I don't even know the guy, I just think he sounded amazing live.
The thing is, all his recorded music doesn't sound -anything- like the live versions.
It was just him and a guy on the acoustic guitar
And they really sounded amazing.
I wish he had just recorded his music just like that
I would buy that CD, no questions asked.
This is just opinion of course.
Apparently he's a very nice guy.
I didn't really listen to the words of the first 2 songs
But the 3rd song he sang, "Ups and Downs" was very moving.
It had a nice tempo, excellent guitar playing
and he just really got into it.
I appreciate performances like that.
I hope he plays there again
I dunno if I'm going back next Tuesday though.
(I have to admit, the entertainment value is almost worth it though)

Next up they had some Latin guy who called himself Cisco.
And well...
...I give him an A for effort.
I can excuse the singing, not everyone can do it well, but everyone tries
And that's fine, y'know, as long as you know your limits.
But having your guitar out of tune?
That's unacceptable.
It wasn't even like "Oh well, you play guitar, of course you can hear it's out of tune"
No no, I asked the wife and even she cringed a bit.
It wasn't so much that he was bad or anything
Because clearly he was trying, and y'know, you can appreciate that.
He was just a bit arrogant about it.
Again, just an opinion, not a fact.
I realize it takes a certain amount of...gusto to get on stage to begin with
But please don't act like you're the shit if no one's clapping.

Which of course, brings me to the last act that I was able to stand.
Trench Party.
...just.
...Wow.
I really don't know what to say or how to start here.
So this guy gets to the stage and he has a keyboard
And well, when I see a keyboard, normally I expect more band members
Not that there's anything wrong with the keyboard, I love it
I used to play it
I just wasn't expecting this guy to be alone
Especially not with a name like Trench Party.
He has a bit of difficulty setting up at first, and that's fine
I don't really think they expected it either.
So with all this uncertainty lingering in the air
You almost kind of want the guy to be amazing
To be like this awesome hidden talent
...That was most certainly not the case.
Again, not that it was bad
It was certainly...unusual.
He gets up there and he's all like
"Yea so...the name's Trench Party, that's for damn sure."
And you're like
well, okay...apparently you wanna be a badass...lets see what you got.
...
...and then he proceeds to talk about this concept album
about the majesty of dragons.
I'm sorry
I was like
...Wtf?! Dragons?!
And he was dead serious about this.
That's what made everything so much more comical
As if it weren't funny enough.
He was so fucking serious.
Again, it does take some serious cajones to get on stage like that
But seriously...

He offers the audience free cocaine for going to his myspace and downloading his albums
and I'm pretty sure he's kinda serious about that.
So you're kinda torn
Do I laugh, or do I want free cocaine?
Dilemmas, Dilemmas.

I only made it to the first verse of the 2nd song
I couldn't take anymore.
The wife whispering "baby, what the fuck is going on? why does he sound like he's crying"
in my ear certainly did not help the situation.
We had to leave
And I laughed
and laughed
until I cried
several times.

And this is where I am now.
Just to clarify here
I am not laughing at the guy behind Trench Party
I'm laughing at the series of circumstances surrounding this perfomance.
I respect all musicians in whatever form they choose
Whether it's the rock stylings of Rag,
The off-key rendition of "Wonderwall"
or the unfathomable blend of music that Bjork makes.
Music is music
and everyone just wants to be heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha thanks for the mention!!

i laughed so hard remembering that i said that stuff.

-trench party