Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Firsts.

I've always been interested in the guitar.
I can't explain why
I just have been.
And for a long time I was afraid to touch one
Afraid I might break one
Or worse...sound awful.

My first year in college, I actually got to play one.
My friend Megan had an Ibanez guitar sitting in her room gathering dust.
I asked if I could borrow it
She was like "Sure, I don't play it"
And I, for the life of me could not understand that concept.
So, I took it to my dorm
And fumbled around with it.
It was hard
My hands hurt like fuck
But...I finally got to play a guitar.
Of course, I'd never play in front of people...God no.
But the guy in the room next to me heard me playing and decided to teach me a thing or two.
It wasn't much, but it got me started, Thanks Sam.


Yes, I know this is a "Money Shot"
and I'm clearly being cheesy as hell
But I was happy.
My first time with an acoustic guitar.
It was...nice.

I've never had a teacher
I probably never will
So I had to find my way through various lessons
Older people giving advice and tips
And I never could do things right
But it's alright
I'll keep trying.

I tried learning chords and tabs
But all that was above my head
So for a while I just strummed the only notes I knew.
G, C and E.

Eventually I got around to trying to figure out how to play a song
From my favorite band, System of A Down.
Their song "Roulette".

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here's my version:


And my attempt at the verse:


And yet again, with my vocal accompaniment.


I know I don't sound particularly pleasing to anyone's ears
But I still like to play
That's really all I have to say about that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For those of you who don't particularly care for my albeit novice version
Or are just interested what the original sounds like
You can find it here
(NOTE: I do not own the rights to this song, I do not encourage stealing or copyright infringment
listen to it and be done with it)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I'm a guy
with a guitar
I'm not very good
...I just play.

No comments: